Saturday, August 11, 2007

Hello winter running tights...

The weather has been crazy in this town this week. Scorching hot on Monday, then overcast, cold and rainy through Friday, then a nice and balmy 6C (43F) this morning. I was up early (thanks to both my musical alarm and my canine alarm called Maggie) and running by 7 am. The temperature was a bit of a shock to the system so I had to dig out my winter running tights, a warmer top, my Smartwool socks, and even my gloves. I had to get my planned 6 miles in as quickly as possible so I opted to head back out to Baker Park. It was absolutely beautiful out this morning as there was a blanket of fog settled in just over the river. Thanks to the cool temps and some recent rain things smelled...fresh...and green. I warmed up a bit, then headed down the pathway for my run. It was pretty solitary out since it was still early and cold. No dogs down at the watering hole this morning. When I hit the first mile I ran into some folks setting up a water station for a race that was going to be happening along the pathway. Turns out it was the Cross Calgary Relay and Ultramarathon this morning that was also starting at Baker Park. I decided to go for a full 10K so after hitting the 5K mark I turned around and started seeing the runners. I said good morning to all of them as they went on their way. At the end I finished up 6.2 mi at a pretty decent clip. I got a few push ups in after the run and some upper body weights in the afternoon. Finally the weather has warmed up and is a bit more back to normal, so time to enjoy some sunshine outside...

4 comments:

TNTcoach Ken said...

Don't mention that 'w' word, it's still summer. I'm not sure where I put my winter stuff!

Angry Runner said...

Ya it was freezing down here too. I had on the fleece jacket and winter hat and i was still cold.

RunToTheFinish said...

What?! That's insanity! I am battling at 110 heat index right now and dying to go for a run...but smart enough to wait!

Does your winter tight collection compare to the skirt collection?

Runner Leana said...

No, my winter tight colletction does not rival my running skirt collection. But then again I HATE running tights and only wear them out of necessity.