Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Back for some speedwork with the Roadrunners

Last night I was back out at Edworthy, ready for some speed work with the Roadrunners. Tamie came out to join us after she heard me talk about how much I enjoyed those pyramids last week, so it was great to have her join in. This week we'd be running 8 - 400 m repeats instead...gulp! We jogged just over a mile to warm up, and then it was time to go. The pathway has painted marks on it showing 100 m intervals, making an ideal alternative to running repeats around a track. As usual the fast folks took off and Karen and I were bringing up the rear. The best thing about being in the back was you knew where the end was as all the fast folks were waiting there for you, and they were great about cheering you on. What a supportive group! After resting for about 1:45 or so it was time to start up again. I should have been aiming to keep my splits consistent, and around 2:00 or so, but I didn't have my watch set up properly to watch that, so I was only able to see what I had done after the fact:
1 - 2:10 (included a tad of warm up still, and the first interval)
2 - 1:54
3 - 2:02
4 - 1:59
5 - 2:10 (detour off the path due to some construction, and the final one to the turnaround - boy this one was tough!)
6 - 2:07 (hey, I saved 3 sec when I turned around)
7 - 2:03
8 - 2:02
Final mileage for the night was 3.28 mi. I see some potential for improvement here. Wow, this was a tough run, but I know this speed work will help me in the long run. Check out Karen's version of the evening here. It will be a few weeks before I'm out with the Roadrunners again as I'm going to hold off on speedwork next week since my half marathon is that weekend. After that I'm out of town for a bit. I'll be back for more work with the Roadrunners for sure though!

1 comment:

Downhillnut said...

Great job! There were a few times when I was tempted to cut my rests short and start when you did, but starting on my own later also helped me focus and run at my own pace (and probably let you do the same).

It was great to see you again last night, and I look forward to following along here with you until you return. Have a happy half and safe travels.