Monday, October 20, 2008

Revelations

The snow fell for about an hour on Saturday morning. Big, white, fluffy flakes. By the time I was ready to head out in to the snow it had stopped though. I've been a bit boring with my running routes lately. Apparently just running around my neighborhood is good enough for me. It is challenging enough that I can't seem to bring myself to drive 20 minutes away to run somewhere else. The only downside to running around my neighborhood is the lack of bathrooms. I know...I could probably double back and run home, but then I would seriously run the risk of not wanting to head back out to finish my run. And about three miles in to my run I had to pee. Bad. I wound up exploring one of the last new areas of construction around 5 or 6 miles in. Lo and behold, amongst the bright, shiny, new houses and lots under construction there was a port-a-potty. I had misgivings, but desperate times call for desperate measures. Let me tell you, there is some interesting reading on the walls of those construction port-a-potties... I'd post what I read but it is seriously not safe for children. But it did give me a laugh... Feeling less pressure and fueled by another absolutely delicious chocolate mint Gu I was back on my way. My pace was a few seconds slower than last week, so there was no 13.1 mi PR for me. Truthfully my legs were pretty dead in the last mile that it was starting to feel like a struggle. Coach had 22 km on the schedule, and when you convert it that is 13.67 miles. And I really wasn't sure I had the extra 0.33 miles in me so I called it a day.
---
After the run it was time to nap in preparation for an evening at the Rocky Mountain Food and Wine Festival. This event is quickly becoming a family tradition with my brother, sister-in-law and I. The event was a good one, but...ohhh... I think that endurance running and tolerance for booze are inversely proportional. I would love to tell you what I really enjoyed, but for the most part...I'm not sure... Although I do remember that Big Rock's Winter Spice Ale was pretty good.
---
As for my bike ride on Sunday, it was pretty nondescript. I had parked my car downtown, then taken transit to get to the festival, then cabbed it home, so my ride involved heading downtown to pick up my car. It was a pretty nice and sunny day out, so it felt good to be speeding towards downtown.
---
This week is a cut back week in terms of mileage, but the intensity goes up, so it should be interesting! Also, congratulations to everyone that ran the Nike Women's Marathon yesterday, including my mom who ran a great half marathon. Way to go ladies!

2 comments:

teacherwoman said...

You got snow? Okay, so now I am not feeling as guilty complaining about our first big frost here... 32 degrees this morning when I left for work and realized I didn't have my car parked in the garage and then the scrapers were not in the car. grr!

Laurel said...

I still can't believe it's snowing there. I think I am in for a rude awakening with this whole new winter-thing I have gotten myself into.

Is the chocolate mint gu any good? I was thinking about trying it.

Great job on the runs. Sounds like the Food and Wine Fest was fun ;)