Sunday, April 19, 2009

Snooze Fest!

There was apparently one theme for this weekend – sleep! And I probably spent most of those sleep hours on my couch! I had a blast at Michelle and Joel’s birthday party last night. I got home somewhere just after 1 am, sat down on the couch to watch a little bit of Cold Case, then woke up just before 5 am…oops! I headed up to bed and enjoyed a nice sleep in until 9:30.


I ate some breakfast, puttered around the house, and finally I headed out for my long run – half marathon taper intervals. I haven’t really talked about it a lot, but I am actually running a half marathon next weekend! I signed up for the Calgary Police Half as a way to keep my fitness up. I’ve had some troubles getting in the long runs at times, but I’m not too stressed about the race. I have a week to figure out if I have any goals for the race!


Anyhow, the run was supposed to be 60 to 75 minutes long with 2 x 10:00 at my half marathon pace. I ran the Last Chance Half at a pace of 9:42/mi so I figured if I aimed for somewhere around 9:20 – 9:30/mi that would be pretty good. I headed out to Edworthy to run by the river. It was so crazy busy out! That’s what happens when you get a sunny and warm day in Calgary! I ran…I hit the intervals…time to head home for some lunch! I put another episode of Cold Case on (I’m sensing a theme here…) and once again passed out on the couch, waking up just as the Canucks – Blues game was starting. Crazy! Apparently I just really needed a chance to catch up on some sleep this weekend.


A lot of you guys ask me how I fit everything in and how much sleep do I get? I’m averaging 5 – 6 hours a night during the week typically. Not enough, but I’m working to try and get a few more hours in since I know I’ll need it as my training ramps up for the half Irons. On the weekends I typically get 8 hours in, not counting those naps on the couch!! I’ve never been one of those “sleep until noon” people so I guess these early morning tend to work for me!


Best of luck to everyone I know running Boston tomorrow!!!

8 comments:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

sneaking in a HM on us! LOL You'll do awesome. Great that you got to catch up on some much needed zzzzz's! I had a lazy day after my run today too, feels great once in a while.

Missy said...

OUCH, I'd die, I'm an 8 hour/nite girl, 7 minimum. 5-6 might just kill me - I wish I didn't need as much sleep. Get what your body needs. It will thank you for all the torture you put it through.

Lauren said...

That always happens to me. I turn the TV on, and I'm out. Same with reading. I can't seem to make it through a movie or book these days without dozing off. Sounds like a great weekend though.

You crack me up with a week to come up with race strategy.

Lindsay said...

yeah i loved your email - esp the comment about how much fun you are after working out early morning, working, mid-day run, and then having a "night life". hey it's more than me! :)

good luck in preparation for the half this coming weekend - you'll do awesome!

RunToTheFinish said...

oh my word, you need more sleep!! I couldn't do much on 5 hours of sleep. let alone the schedule you have been keeping

ShirleyPerly said...

Good for you on the snoozing! I'm someone who usually sleeps 7-8 hours a night, take naps too and still can't get enough sleep, it seems :-)

But I've learned that it's as important to rest as it is to train. Cool to hear about the half marathon!

Badgergirl said...

I'm an 8 hour a night kind of girl when it comes to sleep. I don't think I could function on 5-6 hours a night day after day!

Good luck on the half marathon this weekend!

kristen said...

My sister is running the police half and I'll be somewhere on the course cheering her on (a couple of spots if I can figure the route out well enough). So if you hear some stranger cheering for you, it might be me. Good luck!