Thank you Mother Nature for giving us an amazing evening tonight!! The clouds were threatening earlier in the day, but by the time I was heading out to Cochrane it was beautiful. We had a 24K (15 mi) time trial planned. We warmed up, then headed out Highway 1A towards Ghost Lake, turned around at the gas station, then headed back in. As far as cycling around Calgary goes this was reasonably flat and we had an excellent shoulder to ride on.
We went off in 30 second intervals with the speedier cyclists going at the end. The name of the game was to pass as many people as possible and try to not get passed yourself! My personal goal was to pass someone before I got passed…mission achieved! When I hit the turnaround I was surprised to see how close behind so many of the speedy cyclists were..!! Unfortunately we were also going smack into a nice headwind! I just kept my cadence nice and high the entire way back. I did get passed but I was still passing a few of the people ahead of me. I finished up the time trial in 43:46, a 20.5 mph pace. I was really happy with that!
I’ve been thinking about nutrition a lot lately as I get closer and closer to Great White North (25 days left to go!!!). Yesterday I really wanted some chocolate milk, but not the super bad for you kind from most of the coffee shops. So I headed out over lunch to pick up skim milk and Ovaltine from Safeway to keep at work. My storage area over my desk now looks more like a pantry than anything else!
So here are a few of my plans for the coming weeks:
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Really focus on drinking water throughout my day.
- Consume plenty of fresh fruits and veggies each day.
- Fish, chicken and pork only for my lunch and dinner protein sources.
- No caffeine after noon. This should help me get to bed earlier in the evening.
- No alcohol Monday through Friday. I debated cutting it out altogether, but this seems much more reasonable..! (Thanks Pam for the idea.) Our Stanley Cup wrap up party will be excluded from this rule though.
- Plan ahead snacks and cut out the sweets. I’m giving myself a buy after Tuesday night bike workouts though…
Speaking of getting to bed earlier…I need to get some sleep. Tomorrow is going to be an early one, and a busy one!