Tuesday, July 7, 2009

After the Race…

Once I crossed the finish line a few friends found me right away but I was still hyperventilating and needed to catch my breath.  Finally after a minute or two things were back under control.  I grabbed some water but I was full and couldn’t handle the thought of any food so I ran off to find friends and congratulate everyone.  I finally remembered that I also had a massage that I had to take advantage of.  I hobbled into the gym where the massage tables were set up and got in line.  I wasn’t sore at all but I figured this would help flush the legs a bit, plus the knots in my shoulders were still really bothering me.  I was covered in sweat, grime and salt so I felt bad for the guy giving me a massage, but it was just what my legs needed.  After that Pam and I went back to get my car from T1, then drove back to T2 to pick up our bikes.  After cleaning up it was off to the awards banquet dinner – burgers!  The food was tasty (and there was beer), but I think Friday’s dinner was a bit better. DSCN0417 DSCN0419 DSCN0422
Team Tri Life had some amazing performances out there, including my fantastic coach Angie who won her age group!  She’s having an amazing year as she got her Clearwater spot at Oceanside earlier this year.  It is great working with her and she is a huge inspiration!!

Other thoughts with regards to the race…it is so well organized!  From the dinners, to the well stocked aid stations, to the super enthusiastic volunteers…it is hard to ask for a better event.  I understand why this race sells out so quickly.

Other lessons I learned?

  • My nutrition strategy worked well – the peanut butter sandwich, banana, Chomps and gels.  No stomach problems on the race whatsoever!
  • SPF 30?  Not enough for me!  I still have some sunburned bits on my cheeks and shoulder blades.  I also realized on the run as I unzipped my tri top that I had forgotten to put sunscreen on my chest.  Oops…
  • Next time I’ll be staying in Stony instead of Edmonton.  I thought I’d want to be closer to the city but it turns out that I wanted to be closer to the action.
  • Having company on the drive was great.  Thanks Pam!  It went by quickly and it was great to get tips on the race from her.
  • Having people you know out on the race is an immeasurable benefit.  Seeing my teammates and friends was such a huge boost.  One of the things I thought about on the bike is how I’m off to race the Lake Stevens 70.3 on my own.  The majority of my teammates are either racing the Calgary 70.3 or Ironman Canada.  So I’m hoping I can convince my parents to come cheer me on at LS..!

12 comments:

Marni Sumbal, MS, RD said...

yay!! no stomach issues!!
Great job at the race!! enjoy your recovery!!

RunToTheFinish said...

i love having people on the course just when running, I can only imageine the boost when doing something I consider so much harder!

glad you aren't feeling sore, that's awesome

Wes said...

Yes! Recover well, and well earned!!

teacherwoman said...

Once again, congrats! Way to go! Enjoy your recovery time!

Lindsay said...

that burger looks amazing right now. yummm :)

glad you got your nutritional plan down - certainly a big factor in endurance events, don't need to be making any emergency pit stops. lol. enjoy some r&r you definitely earned it!

Marlene said...

Sounds like such a wonderful experience overall and you must be feeling super confident about LS. Hopefully you can convince your parents to come down for support! Racing alone is just no fun.

Keith said...

Coop sells SPF 50 sunscreen in a spray. Working fine so far. The 30 stuff might be ok in reality, but if you got it a bit thin, or wiped it off, or sweated it off, could be why you got some sun.

ShirleyPerly said...

Congrats to your coach too!

I've actually never had a post-race massage before thinking I was too grimy. Maybe I'll try one someday.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

sounds like you got the nutrition down pat! Awesome!

Unknown said...

Great job Leana. Congrats!

Alexandra said...

Always learning, always growing! You are riding an amazng journey!

Jordan said...

Those burgers suck every year. This year I gave my husband the ticket and watched him try and get through the undercooked potato salad and boring burgers.

You had an amazing race! Super strong!! :)