Wednesday, May 26, 2010

IMC Prep Camp – Day 2

Day 2 dawned on our IMC prep camp.  I hadn’t swum since my race the weekend before so I was keen to hit up the pool.  I also had a 90 minute run on the schedule.  Originally I would have like to run part of the IMC run course.  We had ridden part of the run course on Friday and the shoulders disappear as you run along the lake.  Given that we were getting honked at on our bikes a run didn’t seem like a great idea.

I suggested running along the Mission Creek Greenway instead in Kelowna.Okanagan July 2008 045It is one of my favourite routes to run there!  We wanted to knock out our swim first though, so our first stop was H2O Aquatics.  H2O is an amazing facility.  It has a 50m pool that is divided into 25m at points in the day, has a hot tub, wave runner, floating river, wave pool and three water slides and gym facilities.  We paid a daily drop in fee and knocked out a swim.  I ran through 2000m while the pool was open for 50m, most of it just with a pull buoy as I didn’t want to tucker my legs out too much.  We showered, changed, then ran to the green way.  My legs were pooped and after the first mile I let Ally go on.  I thought I would run one mile and walk for a minute, then repeat.  At 45 min I prepared to turn around, but I saw this guy:DSCN3594 DSCN3589 He was pretty big, so I think it may be a beaver?  I also downed my first Jet Blackberry Gu and it was pretty tasty!  When I turned around the legs perked up and my speed started dropping.  I was feeling great!  I wound up running for a total of 9 miles back to the H2O. 

After the run was done we met up with the boyfriend for a little cross training fun at the pool.  Water slides!!  Seriously, I wonder if I can count those hours as cross training?  For a long weekend the facility was fairly quiet and we had a great time testing out the water slides, floating down the river with a noodle and jumping off diving boards.  Afterward?  I was completely zonked!  There were initial talks of driving the rest of the IMC bike course and going for an open water swim but no one was too keen to go anywhere.  Instead we took it easy at my parents’ place, plotting our big ride for tomorrow and getting our nutrition sorted out.  Sunday it would be time to do a little more IMC bike course exploring!

12 comments:

Marlene said...

Nice job on the workouts! Water slides definitely count. That sounds like so much fun.

Dano said...

H20 sounds much better than the open water swim we did in Oliver, lol. My hands and feet were a bit numb when we got out. Sounds like the DIY camp was lots of fun!

Unknown said...

At first I wasn't sure who you saw on the trail...the maybe-beaver or the pack of GU. :o)

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete said...

That sounds like the perfect day! The scenery looks amazing! You are so lucky that you get to train in that beauty!

Wes said...

Totally counts as cross training! :-)

Julie said...

Water slides!!!! I haven't been on one in so long -- what an awesome training trip you are having. :) :)

Beth said...

That does look like a beaver! Have you run the KVR trail in Penticton? It is one of my favourite runs. Next time you are there you should try it.

J said...

Sometimes I think going on water slides and stuff is more tiring than working out! Great job on the workouts! Sounds like a fabulous time!

RoadBunner said...

Umm. Water slides?!!!?! I want an invite for that!!

Keith said...

Not a beaver. The tail is wrong. Might be a marmot, or maybe a badger.

I'll have to try that Gu, love blackberries. Sounds like you're loving the time there.

Oh, and I'll see you July 4!

Alisa said...

Awesome workout and cross training.

Jet Blackberry Gu is pretty tasty.

Katherine said...

that was a definately marmot... there are lots of them around Kelowna. great job on the workouts!