Sunday, October 17, 2010

Changing up the scenery

This morning I met my friend Pam for a run.  We are both racing the Last Chance Half next month so getting a long run in together seemed like a good idea.  Plus Pam has two dogs that like to run and need a lot of exercise.  Perfect!

We met up at the Eau Claire Y.  It was sunny but pretty brisk.  Nice in the sun, but it is definitely cooler in the mornings around here!  Pam suggested running eastward towards the zoo and Inglewood which would be new scenery for me.  Let’s go!  We started along the north side of the Bow River and made our way to the zoo.  At first we were following a 4:1 plan but I found we were getting in a groove so I lengthened the run intervals out a bit.  When we hit the zoo we crossed the river and made our way into Inglewood.  Such pretty houses!  New pathways I had never been on before!  At times it can be a little sketch so I’m not sure I would run here on my own, but with Pam and the dogs it was good.  We continued back along the south side of the river, past Fort Calgary.  I discovered a cute place – Deane House Restaurant – for brunch and lunch.deane houseAll in all, it was a great run.  The company was great and it was nice to be out enjoying the sunshine and seeing new parts of my town.  1:15 run, done!

After that Pam and I grabbed a coffee and then I made my way over to the Eau Claire Y.  I had a little business to take care of.  Cancelling my membership.  I put my membership on hold until November 1st, but that was as long as I could put it on hold for.  I’m not planning on swimming for awhile so this seemed like the right decision.  I can’t keep a membership at the gym downstairs at work and at the Y at the same time.  So…I’m sticking with the gym downstairs for awhile to keep up with strength training and Friday yoga!

9 comments:

Lily on the Road said...

Sounds like a great place to run, albeit a little sketchy.

It is hard to keep all the gym fees tangible. I'm trying to sort out whether to keep my gym fee even though it doesn't have a pool, yet I want to swim to get ready for next years tri's....tough decisions....

Petraruns said...

Good for you on rationalising your memberships and on working out what you want - I have joined and quit my gym about 3 times because life and my goals change, but right now I'm a member..

Marlene said...

Great job on the long run! Sounds like you were feeling pretty good.

chris mcpeake said...

nice long run.. way to go

Heidi said...

Running is such a great way to discover (or rediscover) a town.

Enjoy your Grind next weekend. I "might" be going up. The schedule is pretty full but I'd like to fit it in.

Unknown said...

That was a great place to run! :)
Running can discover or rediscover places, great places like this one! More power! ~ five fingers ~

Badgergirl said...

Sounds like a great run!

Mike Russell said...

I travel a ton right now and always run in the towns I stay in. I use my jaunts to find the local flavor

Unknown said...

It is good that you have a great run with a great companion...Congrats!!!

_____________
keen shoes