Saturday, June 30, 2007

10 miles = ow, ow, ow....

This morning I had my last long run before the Calgary Half Marathon next weekend, a 10 miler. This was a first for me - my longest distance so far! I went back out to Glenmore Reservoir again as I really like that pathway and the scenery around there. This time I started near the rowing club which was a pretty busy place for this Saturday morning. My whole way around the reservoir I could hear the rowers out there which was really neat. It was really starting to warm up, and not quite half way through my route I was running low on water. Luckily I was right near the Glenmore Landing shopping center, so I took a break to run into Good Earth and replenish my fluids. I discovered that I really seem to dislike running on flat ground for an extended period of time. I noticed that I would really slow down on these portions. Of course the downhills are speedy, but I'm really starting to find the uphills really motivating and I made some good time on most of the climbs. I felt like I really pushed my pace today, and as a result I averaged 00:17/mile faster than last week's long run. I'm not sure if I could have sustained this another 3.1 miles, but I guess we'll see what happens next weekend. I went with the Lemon-Lime Clif Shot Bloks this time around. The flavor was slightly better than the black cherry, but I think I still want to try a few more flavors out. However for next weekend I'm going to stick with a flavor I've tried since I know it agrees with my stomach!

For the first time in awhile I could tell I was going to be sore after this run. Last week I felt great, but even with a bunch of stretching I knew I was going to stiffen up in the car on the way home today. And yup, I was right! I should have come home and gone with an ice bath, but I opted to eat and have a nap instead even though I knew this wasn't the best option...and as a result I'm definitely a bit stiff. On days like these I wonder why I thought a 4 level split townhome was a good idea....!

1 comment:

Before I'm 35 said...

Congratulations on your 10 miler and good luck on the half this weekend!! Ten was the longest run that I did before my half-marathon, and I was okay. The last two miles of the half were not so comfortable, but I was able to finish without walking any of it.

Have you tried your New Balance skirt yet? I have that one. I like it, but the shorts underneath ride up a little on me. I really want to try one from Skirt Sports!