Friday, June 1, 2007

I Heart Hills


Last night I decided to head out to McHugh Bluffs for a little up and down work on a hill. The pathways were pretty popular last night since the weather was so nice out -- 25 C (77 F) at 7:oo in the evening.

I ran on flat ground for about 10 min, then scaled to the top, ran on flat ground, ran back down, and jogged it out on flat ground. Repeat two more times. I haven't had a chance to download the data off of my Garmin but I think you gain about 100 ft in about 0.3 miles. I then ran back to my car and totalled 4.5 miles for the day. It was certainly a workout, but I loved the challenge. With a few repeats I'm sure I'll see improvements and it will definitely help me out in San Francisco in October at the Nike Women's Half. At the 6 mile marker of that race you gain about 270 feet over the next mile... And of course there are other hills along the way too. I think Thursdays are now officially hill training days.

1 comment:

teacherwoman said...

Hmmm..hills... I am a fan of them when I am actually doing them, but the after effect is what leaves me thinking I hate them! Nice job though!