Monday, October 15, 2007

Hi, I'm a clutz!

Friday night dinner went pretty well. Nothing too exciting happened at the "introduce the parents to the BF" dinner and the food and beverages were very good that night.
---
Saturday morning I drove up to Airdrie for the final run with the San Francisco ladies. We planned on an hour total run, with socializing and breakfast afterwards. We took off on one of the pathways around town and it was a really pretty run. It is always nice to see some new scenery. There was some good chatting, and we finished up with 5.04 miles in just under and hour. When we got back to our starting point, Cheryl's house, there was french toast and fruit salad waiting for us. I hung out for a bit, but then had to boot it back to town for my niece's party that was happening at my house. Avery was introduced to friends and family where she obliged by napping peacefully as people were taking turns holding her and we chowed down on ridiculous amounts of food. As soon as the house was empty my parents, brother, sister-in-law and the BF hurried downtown for the Rocky Mountain Food and Wine Festival. Now here was another good reason to get my long runs in on Friday and Saturday and leave my Sunday relatively free... $20 admission and as many tasting tickets as you want to buy gives you the opportunity to taste all kinds of wines, beers, bevvies, scotches and ports. Oh, and there is food to taste as well... I stuck with my sister-in-law since our focus was wine and a few high lights included the Jackson Triggs Chardonnay being made exclusively for the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver, the Rancho Zabaco Zinfandel, a nifty wine called House Red, and a shiraz from Jacob's Creek. After some late night food to offset all that wine it was time to call it a night.
---
Sunday was cross training via curling if you want to call it that! My biggest worry was slipping on the ice and damaging something right before my crazy race schedule coming up. Since I'm a newbie I get to throw lead rocks and after awhile I got the hang of the weight I needed to get the rocks into the house, but not past it. After throwing rocks you get to sweep your teammates' rocks down the ice and here's where I started to get a bit nervous. I made it almost to the end with no incident, until the final rock of the final end of the game. The rock I was sweeping was almost in the house when I slipped and fell flat on my back. I took out all the rocks that were still in play on my way down... We gave a point to the other team and had to play another end to even things out. Luckily I wasn't too much the worse for wear after the fall although my rear end is kinda sore for taking the brunt of the landing. Yeah....I'm a clutz...

3 comments:

Angry Runner said...

I suppose the cross training benefit from curling is the "agility work" that one needs to master in order to avoid the falling on one's ass. It will come with time as your core and hip stabilizers fire off to keep you upright as you sweep that little broom thingy. I'm serious about the agilty work...

I suppose slipping on the ice is less theatrical than slipping down an entire flight of wet stairs with my glutes taking the brunt of the pounding. It happens to the best of us.

RunToTheFinish said...

Curling, that's too cool!

SF is almost here, OH MY GOSH.

Laurel said...

Well, I'm glad you didn't break yourself before the race! Haha...

Also glad to hear that the dinner went well.

Mmmmm...wine festival!