Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Running fast with the Roadrunners

Last night I finally got my act in gear and met up with Karen and the Calgary Roadrunners in Edworthy Park. It was speed night and pyramids were on the menu in intervals of 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1 minutes. We ran a quick warm up for about 10 min and then it was time to get going. There are some speedy people in this CRR group, but Karen, Lisbet and I all ran about the same pace so we were able to keep each other company. Even though the speedy folks took off in their intervals they always walked back to meet up with us during the breaks so that we could all start off together. It was good motivation trying to keep those speedy folks in sight, and I ran some fast intervals! 4.39 miles in 40:45 for a 9:17/mi pace - including warm up and cool down..!! Everyone was really welcoming and I had a blast, plus I got a great workout in. I truly believe that the best way to run speed work is with a group as it helps to have company even though you don't talk that much during the run. It really helps you push yourself more. Here I thought I was more of a loner runner and now I'm turning into a groupie. Karen is convincing me to try some of the CRR cross country races to shake things up a bit once I'm done with the Goofy in January. I may start with the 12-Mile Coulee Cross Country Race on January 26th since I can walk to the start line from my house..!

5 comments:

Bill said...

Wow! Those are great times! It definitely sounds like the group running is working for you. Way to go!

TNTcoach Ken said...

Okay groupie, now you’re really becoming a part of the running community! Once you’re in, there’s no turning back. Great job, Speed Racer.

Sarah Elaine said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and for the comment.

Good job on the speed training! I was considering going for a CRR run on Tuesday, but I'm still in recovery mode, so I'll save it for another time.

Sounds like we'll meet on the pathways soon though!

RunToTheFinish said...

I love ladders like that! It's how I taught my self to run way back when!

Laurel said...

Wow, look at your speedy times!

I love group running too! I had a similar run this week with some of my husbands friends. I was all excited to run just under 4 miles, until I realized they were going to kick my butt!

Now I can't wait to get out there and run fast again with them next week!

Good luck with your group running!