Saturday, July 19, 2008

18 Miles...Done!

This morning I met Giovanna at the Weaselhead parking lot off of Glenmore Reservoir just after 6:00 am. I figured we could run two 9 mile loops and that would give plenty of opportunity for bathroom breaks and a chance to refill in case I ran out of water. It seemed pretty cool as soon as I got out of the car so I threw on a jacket that I had brought with me. About 4 mins into the run I regreted the decision because I was now burning up. We decided to turn around so I could drop the jacket back off at the car. We ran a pretty good pace along the north side of the reservoir and the conversation was great. Giovanna is moving to Nashville in a couple of weeks and she's trying to talk me into the Country Music Marathon event next year. This race hasn't really been on my radar, but time wise it may be a great opportunity for a half marathon (before...ahem...tri season starts next year). I kept missing walk breaks since I wasn't checking my watch often enough so we wound up walking for about a minute after every mile. At mile 5 it was time to try another Hammer Gel flavour - Apple Cinnamon. This tastes exactly like pie filling. Overall, not too bad, but maybe a tad too sweet. Espresso is still my favourite, but after scouring several shops in Calgary this week I can't find any more right now.

It was starting to warm up and I am so glad that we started as early as we did because the sun was starting to blaze. Thanks to doubling back we finished up the first loop at 10 miles so I figured we may have to shorten the route around the reservoir on lap two. We skipped running over Glenmore Trail and over the dam across the reservoir and ran the pathway right along Glenmore Trail instead. Once we were around 13 or 14 miles I mentally started to flag a bit but Giovanna was really quick to say something positive and it helped me out a lot. At 18 miles I thought we were done running even though we were about a half a mile from the car. We walked for a bit, but as we approached the final hill Giovanna wanted to run it. What a way to finish up an 18 miler - with a massive hill at the end! We both ran really strong and it felt so good to be done. We tried to stretch a bit but my hamstrings weren't too happy with that so we called it a day and headed off. I'm hoping I'll have a chance to run with Giovanna again before she leaves. It was fantastic having her there and it really made those 3-1/2 hours fly by this morning. On my way home I stopped at Tim Horton's for a Bagel B.E.L.T. which was amazing. 18 miles...done...bring on 20 in two weeks!

8 comments:

Tea said...

WOO HOOO!!! congrats.

btw--the apple cinnamon is one of my favorites. I agree that it tastes just like apple pie.

Alexandra said...

Great job to both of you on completing the 18 miles! It's great that you had company for you long long long run! You go girl!

Check out my post "Meaning of Medals" from today (Sunday). I tagged you to find out your thoughts!

holly said...

Nice work! And I must say that you are doing an excellent job in trying out various gels before you use them in a race. So many people overlook the importance of the testing process and then they pay dearly on race day. Well done!

Frayed Laces said...

way to go on your 18 miler! I agree--Hammer Espresso is my fave. I've heard good things about apple, but never tried it.

And as far as transitioning for your Tri coming up: definitely have a pan of water and a towel and do lots of run-throughs. You'll do great!

RunToTheFinish said...

sounds like a great running partner, one who keeps you moving when you aren't sure you can!

Speed Racer said...

Check! You're going to kick ass! That marathon is going to just FALL out of your legs, you won't even notice!

Before I'm 35 said...

Congratulations on the 18 miler!

I did the Country Music half in 07 - my first race and it was the one that turned me into a runner. I really enjoyed it - tons of stuff going on during the race and excellent crowd support (for the half course at least - I have heard you lose some of it for the second 13.1 of the marathon course).

i am Susan said...

Running long distances is hard. The Ultra Marathons amaze me...could I ever do that? Who knows. Great Job!!