Sunday, July 27, 2008

Releasing My Inner Domestic Diva

I have a confession to make. My eating has been...not fantastic. Not fantastic because I've been doing so much eating out or grabbing take out. I realize that this is not a sustainable practice so on Sunday I decided it was time to rediscover the kitchen goddess inside. For starters, here's dinner from last night - a pork chop marinated in soy sauce, lemon juice, brown sugar, salt, pepper and rosemary. I have some grilled radicchio drizzled in balsamic and olive oil and some grilled zucchini on the side.
I also got inspired for my lunch to take to work today. I this month's issue of Bicycling Magazine there was a great recipe for un-fried rice in it. Inside the bowl is brown rice, grilled chicken, napa cabbage, bean sprouts, zucchini, carrots and shitake mushrooms.
Add some shredded nori and some dressing (rice wine vinegar, soy sauce and sesame oil) in my trusty Fuel Belt/salad dressing bottle and I'm good to go.

How do you guys keep on top of your nutrition? Since I'm getting up at 5 am, trying to be in bed by 10 pm, how can I fit work, working out, eating and sleep all in the equation? Any suggestions?

3 comments:

Sonia said...

Wow both dishes look awesome! Great cook you are.

I wish I was able to keep up with my nutrition, after having a great week back on track it totally went out the drain this week-end... sigh it's hard!

range said...

Hi,
I do a lot of fruits. I squeeze my own OJ out of oranges in the morning and for supper. Takes 6 to make 500cc. that's pretty energy dense.

I've almost gone off cooked food, and I'm sticking to a raw food diet. No breads, no pasta.

I munch on veggies, ham, fruits during the day. I'm currently exploring nuts and dried fruits as well to add to my diet.

I drink fruit smoothies, papaya blended with milk, mango blended with milk, or store bought OJ blended in with nectarines.

That works pretty well for me.

I'm not a food nazi though, I don't stop myself from eating out from time to time. Only I stick to wraps, salads and other healthier stuff.

I've done the change in diet over a period of months, so I haven't had any real problems.

I do eat meat, eggs and a little dairy. Red tuna sashimi is one of my faves, as well as grilled salmon.

I used to cook giant portions that would last me the week, but after switching diets, it's no longer an option. I threw them out. So now, it's very small portions.

rocketpants said...

looks tasty!

Once you figure out that balance, let me know. I'm terrible with trying to fit it all in!

Although one thing that has helped (when I do it) is planning out a week for food, prepping breakfast/lunch and snacks the day before. But generally i can be a bit on the lazy side unfortunately.