Thursday, September 4, 2008

Swimming in Circles

My triathlon swimming clinic start up next week. The classes start at 5:40 am and to date I haven't been able to arrive at the Y early enough. I figured that I'd better try to get the pool early today since it is game on next week. With a little less dilly dallying in the morning I was lowering myself into the pool at 5:40 am this morning - success! My upper body was still pretty sore from Tuesday's boot camp so I wasn't expecting lightning fast laps today. I looked down at my watch at one point and thought for sure I had lost count somewhere because surely I wasn't this slow though! I was swimming at the end of the pool, in the open section as opposed to a roped off lane. I may have a rough time when I start trying to open water swim because I could not swim in a straight line for the life of me. I'd start off to the right of the big black line on the bottom of the pool and would wind up way to the left of it by the time I finished my length. I also noticed that swimming up the pool felt a lot easier than swimming back down (not to mention I was swimming a lot straighter). Weird, eh? At one point I stopped to empty some water out of my goggles so I stopped my watch. After a few more laps I looked down at my watch...25 minutes passed, okay. I kept swimming and then looked at my watch...25 minutes gone...what? So not only was I losing count I couldn't remember to restart my watch. Apparently today was the day to just swim in the moment...but I figure I got about 1500 m in.

5 comments:

teacherwoman said...

Oh ... one of those days! :)

Unknown said...

Open water swimming is like that! When I did my first tri I ended up having to swim breaststroke because I kept veering off towards shore! Looking ahead while swimming is apparently a bit of a skill!

ShirleyPerly said...

Oh my, that is really early! Yes, there is definitely some technique involved in sighting and I'm sure your clinic will cover it. From there, it's just practice. Have fun!

Danielle said...

Sometimes you just have to go what happens and not worry about the rest. I've had them at the gym running laps!!

Rainmaker said...

I love your post title...primarily because it reminds me of a funny story.

Late last year, I wrote a post about both fish, and 'swimming in circles' in the same sentance. A short while later, I noticed that someone had used Google to search for the term "Why is my fish swimming in circles"..and found my page. That poor fish.

Anyway... I thought it was funny - and your post brought back that funny.