Thursday, October 9, 2008

High Intensity Hills

Yesterday I had my first round of high intensity hills on the schedule. Warm up for 15 minutes, getting in to zone 3 just at the end, then six to eight 30 second sprints up a hill, with one minute of recovery in between. Cool down for 15 minutes. When I got home I set up my workout in Garmin Training Center. I figured I'd automatically aim for eight repeats. I have to say I love these workouts that you can set up in Garmin. I just run, let the watch beep at me when it is time to switch it up, and not think about time or anything else. Anyhow...once the workout was set up I took Finlay out for a quick walk before setting out. Just as we headed outside white stuff started flying around in the air. That's right folks, it was SNOWING! Last week I was talking about our amazing weather in the high 20s (Celsius), this week we have snow swirling around in the air. Being the chicken that I am I bundled up in a heavier top and grabbed my running gloves. Wouldn't you know it that as soon as I set out the snow was done. Five minutes in I was wondering why I thought I needed my gloves. If you can say one thing about Calgary, the weather here is unpredictable... Once it was time to get my heart rate in to zone 3 I was running downhill and I just couldn't get it there. Close enough though. I ran my 30 second intervals like mad, pushing hard up the hill. My legs were burning and it felt really good. I wound up with 4.1 mi in 42 min and felt like I put a really good effort in. If one thing is for sure, fall is here and it won't be too long before winter pushes its way through...

5 comments:

Brooke said...

Hmmm...hills. That's something you don't see in Louisiana...and snow! I'm thinking if I ever get to a point of wanting to do hill training I'll have to join a gym!

Tea said...

It's that time of year isn't it? We got snow in the mountains last weekend. Now, we have a storm coming in for the weekend that'll give me some snow here.

Nice job on the hill repeats. I really like them. They are so difficult but make such a difference.

Marathon Maritza said...

Seriously, snow? Already? Brrr! Time to start dressing in layers, girl!

Good job on tackling the hills!

TNTcoach Ken said...

Hill repeats? You're just trying to represent Canada in the next Olympics, aren't you?

RoadBunner said...

Snowing! Egad. Living in CA I forget about Winter fast approaching! Wasn't it just Summer?