Friday, November 21, 2008

Bad Runs...Good Runs...

Wednesday: Optional 30 min run
When Wednesday's run said optional, apparently the better option was to not run. But I didn't know that when I set out... It snowed overnight and the pathways were a mess of spotty patches of ice. I ran slow...I don't know if I even got my heart rate in to zone 2...I just didn't want to slip and fall. But something about the surface most likely affected my gait and I developed a pretty intense pain in my lower right shin. Of course at the time you think:
  1. I just changed shoes. Maybe it is the shoes.
  2. Maybe it is the snow. Maybe I'm running funny.
  3. Maybe something else is wrong...

I stopped to stretch my calf and shin and it helped a bit. A concerned runner asked if everything was okay, which was nice of him. I got back to work feeling a bit defeated and worried.

Thursday: 6 x 2 min intervals

I really didn't know what to expect with running intervals. I promised myself that if the pathways were as crappy as they were the day before I wouldn't run. I also promised myself that if my shin hurt that I would immediately stop and turn around. I wasn't going to mess around with running intervals if things were hurting. And oh yeah...it was -6°C (21°F) out. Brr! Luckily the pathways were so much better as it looked like they finally threw some salt down to get rid of most of the ice. I ran my 10 min warm up at a nice and easy pace and everything felt pretty good so I continued on with the workout. This run felt so much better than my slow optional run the day before! And despite the chilly temperature it actually didn't feel too bad out. I was well bundled up, the sun was out, and thankfully it wasn't too windy otherwise it might have been quite miserable. Anyhow, fingers crossed that all is okay with the shin and Wednesday's run was just a weird fluke.

As for the rest of the week I've got a rest day today. Tomorrow is a 2:00 run with 3 x 15:00 at marathon race pace with 10:00 aerobic running between race pace efforts. Should be a good one! Sunday is Grey Cup - the Superbowl of the Canadian Football League! Last year we had the Great Grey Cup-Cake Off. This year we are working around the theme of Montreal vs. Calgary and it promises good times!

12 comments:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

glad to hear that you can chalk it up to just a bad run and that things feel better now! Enjoy the weekend!

Viv said...

It was optional so way to write it off as well I went out there and tried kind of thing. I still always feel guilty if I don;t even try the optional. I need to shake that off.

I hope that 2hr run goes off great!Enjoy your weekend and the Cup!

Wes said...

OK. So I'm gonna try a leeeetle harder not to bail on my sub-30 degree run tomorrow. Damn you chica!! LOL... Have a great weekend!

Marlene said...

I've been noticing a lot of new muscle sorensss since running in the snow/ice... gotta get used to the new footing.

Alexandra said...

Glad to know your Thursday run was much better then Wednesday's! It's that time of year when we need to be so careful! Run safe!

Laurel said...

Glad to hear the runs got better. Stay safe out there on the ice!

Marathon Maritza said...

Glad your runs got better, great job getting out there in the cold!

Run safely (and warm!)

Run Mommy said...

Running the cold and snow is a lot different as I have discovered. Keep plugging away!

Patricia said...

My run was 'optional' yesterday. Well I didn't do it... too cold, too tired, too much housework blah blah blah. I realize that if I want to do a half in May, I'll have to start doing the 'optional' trainings.

oh before I forget :

GO ALS GO!!!! hehehe......

Sonia said...

I'm excited for the Grey Cup too! Especially since it is in Montreal and my home Team is there!!

Which trainer did you buy on Nashbar?? Aren't you afraid that if it brakes you'll have to sent it back there and it will cost money etc etc??

How much did it cost you for customs? What shipping did you use (ground or Canada thing)?

My friend at the bike shop has sold all his fluid trainer so no luck with him. But he told me to beware buying from the internet. Not sure if he's just scaring me away to sell me a magnetic one lol

RunToTheFinish said...

I'm going to have to find out more about what you wear for cold runs. Thus far I'm getting through but much colder and I'm done.

Danielle said...

The bad runs remind us how really good the good runs can be don't they?