Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Ready for 2009?

It is hard to believe that 2008 is almost over. It has certainly been a year of ups and downs both personally and on the training side of life. Here it is in a nutshell:
  • I completed the Goofy Race and a Half Challenge in January - as my first marathon! While my marathon was way slower than I would have liked I had a great time out on the course and took a ton of pictures.
  • After I got home from Orlando in January I came down with bronchitis and I didn't manage to kick it until sometime in April. Boo.
  • I bought a bike in April, something that I most definitely had not been considering in the beginning of 2008.
  • I could not buy a PR in the beginning of the season...with the exception of the Calgary Police 5K and the Minnie Marathon 15K in May. I tried to go sub-60:00 on a few 10Ks but came up short, and also couldn't PR in a half marathon.
  • I entered my first duathlon in May, on a total whim, just a couple of days before the event. I loved it. I was hooked on multisport events.
  • After not being able to find too many duathlons to do around here I figured I'd better see if I could still remember how to swim. And then I entered my first triathlon...and I absolutely loved it. And I finally went sub 30:00 on a 5K for the first time ever.
  • I ran my second marathon in Quebec City in August. Despite some wicked heat and potentially over indulging in water during the race I set a new PR.
  • I joined an amazing tri team, headed by an amazing coach!
  • I managed to set new PRs at the Melissa's 10K Road Race and at the Last Chance Half, so I was able to round out 2008 with a slew of PRs in all distances!
So what's up for next year?
I'm also going to aim to find a chip timed 5K race somewhere in there. It is time to set a new official PR! And unless I change my mind, I doubt that I'll be looking to do another full after January, at least for a little while... I'm also a little disappointed that the Strathmore Women's Tri is moving back a weekend and it is now on August 16th. I was hoping to go back and try to see if I could move up in my age group a bit... I still have to run all of this by my coach, but this is what I've been thinking of anyway.

I hope you all have a wonderful new year, and I wish everyone the best for 2009. May it be filled with health and happiness for you all. I'm hoping it will be an exciting year!

16 comments:

RunToTheFinish said...

How crazy that I remember your Goofy training. I just thought it was so amazing and look at what you've gone on to do since then!! Such an incredible year of accomplishments

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Wow! You've had an amazing year! I wish I had found your blog a lot earlier :) Congrats, and looking forward to seeing what you accomplish in '09! :D Happy New Year!

Alexandra said...

You accomplished so much this year and have lots to look forward to in 2009. I will be doing some of those races also.

If you are around on Jan 2nd, the Police Half is open to the first 500 for in-person registration, at noon, one week before the on-line opens.

Sonia said...

What a great year you've had!! You forgot how faster you've become in general =) Little speed devil!

2009 will be busy but rewarding, I'm really envious of where you're at. Wishing lots of success and staying uninjured =)

Marci said...

Great year, holy PR's. I hope 2009 is just as successful!

Road Warrior said...

What a year! You've got a very ambitious 2009 planned. Wow, you're gonna rock the house!

i am Susan said...

You always have quite the race schedules planned. I am glad that your 2008 season went reasonably well. I am looking forward to the Goofy and half challenge, but must admit that I am extremely nervous...more nervous than I am for Ironman (funny how that works)...maybe we'll see you there.

Wes said...

I hope you have a great 2009! Happy New Year, Leana! :-)

Danielle said...

Wow, what an ambitious year for you!! I look forward to following along!!

Sarah Elaine said...

What a great 2008 you've had! Here's to an even better 2009.

Rainmaker said...

Wow, you've had an incredible 2008 - but it looks like your 2009 will be even more amazing. Congrats and good luck this upcoming year!

Happy New Year!

Marlene said...

Congratulations on a great year. I had no idea you just tried multi-sports for the first time this year. Look at your now!

Happy New Year! Can't wait to read about your journey in '09.

holly said...

Looks like you really have had an amazing year!

FTYI - I am registering for Policeman's as well, so if you want me to register you I'm more than happy to do so. Just email me at holly dot lopes at gmail dot com.

Badgergirl said...

I've been lurking for a while, but thought I'd come out of the shadows (I found your blog through Teacherwoman).

2008 sounds like it was an amazing year! I look forward to reading about your adventures in 2009!

Bob Almighty said...

Here's to 2k9 may it be better than 2k8..also is there any chance of a Leana/Speed racer Show down-sprint finish to the line in the Disney marathon?

Bill said...

What a year, eh? Happy New Year and good luck in everything in '09! Lana and I will be in Orlando for the marathon weekend (I'm running the half and Lana's nursing an injury, so she's going for moral support) -- I hope we can see you there!