Monday, July 13, 2009

Getting back at it…

I had my week of reduced workouts…Stampede is over and done with…and my cowboy boots are being packed away for another year (for which my feet are surely thankful for after Friday night…I have a wicked blister).  It is time to build for Lake Stevens!

In theory today was a rest day, but because I missed my weekend swim I decided I would make it up today.  Well…truth be told I very nearly bailed on it.  We had a wicked rain storm roll through town in the afternoon.  38.3 mm of rainfall (1.5”).  It is about 3/4 of a mile from my office to the Y and the thought of walking outside in the rain had me ready to just head home instead.  Then I wizened up and realized that I could walk inside nearly the whole way through the +15 system.  No excuses, time to go swim!

And it was a good swim, so I’m really glad that I went.  I felt smooth and efficient at the water.  After a warm up I had a drill set, a moderately paced 3 x 100 set, a sprint 3 x 100 set and a 2 x 200 pull set.  My sprint wasn’t a huge success, but that’s okay!  My lane was a bit crowded so I just did the best I could.  When I left the Y the rain was gone for a nice walk back to my car.  Well, it was nice until I realized that my stomach was upset.  Maybe a little bit of sea sickness from the swim?  I couldn’t stomach the thought of grilling up shrimp for dinner so it was back to the dinner for champions…another peanut butter sandwich.  With some fresh fruit on the side.  Hopefully I’ll have a chance to break in my new grill soon, but the next few nights promise to be busy…  We’ll see what happens!

10 comments:

Melanie Tait said...

HI Leana - just catching up on your blog - you've had quite the week!

Can't wait to hear how your next build goes.

I would love to meet up when you're in Australia! Will you be mainly in Sydney? Let's chat over FB when you know. :)

Marci said...

Sound like a great swim workout. I need to get some drills in there. Is there a good ironman training program you follow?

Badgergirl said...

Nice swim workout!

Like Marci, I need to add some meat to my swim workouts, right now it's just back and forth. Back and forth. Any suggestions of where to look for good workouts?

joyRuN said...

Sounds like a good workout! I just go back & forth mindlessly :)

Get that grill going already! Grilled shrimp - so easy/fast/yummy.

Marlene said...

Nice workout! Good job getting it done despite being tempted to bail.

Hope you can test out that new grill soon!

Keith said...

If all you got out of Stampede was a blister, then you did really well. Lots of people end up with more permanent souvenirs, like the clap, blood poisoning, broken bones, a baby, a divorce. Count yourself lucky.

Love the +15 system. I like back and forth. Drill sucks, especially in a crowded lane.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

if you send anything out to Marci and Badgergirl, mind adding me to the list too :) Great job getting to the pool and not letting the mind win!!

Lauren said...

You have another half iron in a month? You're nuts!

Sounds like you need to do a post on ironman swim workouts.

And y'all still call it the clap in Canada?

Wes said...

I find myself procrastinating a bit more these days, but I too am always happy when the workout is over.

Lindsay said...

you are so amazing with the swim workouts. i wish i lived nearby so you could 'coach' me/let me swim with you! you probly wouldn't have the patience ;)