Sunday, November 1, 2009

What were you for Halloween?

I dressed up as a handyman for Halloween.  Like an honest to goodness one as opposed to when I was a stud finder a few years ago.  27 - Halloween Party

Yes folks, anyone can give their living room a facelift in one weekend if I can!  I’ve been wanting to replace my living room carpet for quite awhile.  No doubt this action will not please Finlay who has been working really hard to make this solid carpet a polka dot one instead…ahem. DSCN1672 DSCN1673So that’s the before shot.  Just your generic beige carpet.  A couple of weeks ago I found out that my uncle (? ex-uncle? family friend?  not sure what to call him…) would be willing to come out to Calgary to help me install some flooring.  So I went on a hunt for the perfect flooring and put an order in.  I went for a really nice Pergo laminate that comes with underlay attached already.  DSCN1625 Sure, it is more expensive, but by the time you add in the cost for purchasing separate underlay it evens out at the end of the day.  So Uncle A made it out to Calgary just after 4 pm on Saturday afternoon.  Once he got here we got to work pulling up the carpet and underlay, pulling the staples out of the floor and removing the base boards.  Luckily we were able to salvage the base boards to reuse once the new flooring was in.

Sunday morning was all about laying the floor and it actually went really quickly.  Since my room is pretty square it required minimal special cuts.  After that the baseboards were reinstalled, along with a new transition piece between the laminate and existing tile by the front door.DSCN1703

By 3 pm today we were all done!  I spent the rest of the evening reassembling the room and there we go…DSCN1699DSCN1701

This is actually phase one of the project.  I need to repaint the base boards and paint the walls.  Since my living room has a pretty high ceiling that will probably wait until the new year sometime while I figure out how to tackle it.DSCN1702

Sadly I missed out on seeing my niece as what I’m sure was the cutest little ladybug ever and handing out candy to all the trick or treaters, but such is life!  Hope you guys had a great weekend!

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Floor looks great Leana! We'll be following in your flooring footsteps and will hopefully be doing our basement floor shortly!

Molly said...

Very pretty!!! Nice job :)

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Well done! I love it!

joyRuN said...

Your floor looks stunning! Great job!!

Missy said...

That looks great! You have to be thrilled.

Meg said...

It looks AWESOME! I love the dark wood look. You didn't need to dress up as a handyman, you ARE one!! (well, a handy lady!). Good work!

Unknown said...

We used Pergo laminate to do our kitchen/dining room -- great stuff! Finlay is going to love/hate trying to scramble on the new flooring...

When Toby gets really excited and the cats want her to chase them, she looks like a cartoon character on the floor. Her legs spin underneath her and her nails go clickety-clack against the floor and she doesn't gain momentum for a few seconds. LOL!!!

Marlene said...

It looks great! What a transformation.

Good luck with the painting - eek!

Beth said...

Nice job! This has been on my list to do for the past year as well. Maybe some day I'll get around to it!

NJ said...

Love, love, love the new floor!

Brian said...

I love that color, and i love the gong! haha.

I went as Octomom, pics to come on my blog :)

ShirleyPerly said...

Nice room makeover!!

The floor looks great and should make for much easer cleaning, if necessary. And is that gong I see there in the corner? Funny!

Badgergirl said...

Love, love, love the floors!

teacherwoman said...

Love the new flooring! I need to replace my upstairs carpet so bad, it's disgusting. I am just not ready to fork over the money yet.

Bootchez said...

It's amazing how the floor change really makes the room look so different (and classier). The gong? What's up with the gong? (my mind races . . . )

Lindsay said...

nice!! looks so good leana!! you are very handy and much better at following through with the home-projects than i :)