Monday, December 7, 2009

Up and up, round and round

Fact: If it is –20C out I am willing to pay $25 to park in a heated parkade that connects directly to my office building so that I don’t have to go outside.  Ridiculous, no?

Since it is so cold outside running isn’t an option for me.  It would be great to head to the Y over lunch and use a treadmill or the track, but it is a bit far away from my office.  So instead, why not work with what you have available?stairs-6x6
I work in a pretty tall office tower, so I decided to hit the stairs for a workout over lunch today. It is kind of like an indoor Grouse Grind workout!  Besides just straight walking up the stairs I got ideas for other exercises here and here.  I warmed up by walking up about five flights of stairs, then I started in on all different kinds of squats, lunges, calf raises, tricep dips and push ups.  With no air movement in the stairwell it doesn’t take long to start huffing and puffing and working up a sweat.  There was another girl I ran into a couple of times and she was just walking up and up…  I would alternate strength rounds with a few runs up flights.  After making it up about 33 flights I took the elevator down and started again, this time walking up 25 flights all in one go.

So all in all a great workout!  I almost wish I had worn a heart rate monitor to see the kind of numbers I put up.  40 minutes in the stair well and now I’m sure that my legs are very mad at me!

19 comments:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

what a fantastic workout!! Love your idea of tricep dips and pushups, squats, etc too! Love it!

Meg said...

That's awesome! What a great idea.

Nancy D said...

Great idea! It certainly is cold out "there". Seattle at -4C is way cold for me! I did run the dread mill today.

D said...

You should just move over here and stop dealing with that retarded weather. I don't know how you do it.

Alexandra said...

Now that's being creative!

teacherwoman said...

Way to make the most of your time and resources!

Lindsay said...

wow what a workout! you work in a tall building :) i know i used to get a little winded just walking (quickly) up 6 flights in my old office. (not out-of-shape winded, for the record as i usually went in to work after running/lifting weights!)

Ali said...

The escalator was broken this morning, I was huffing and puffing at the top.

Good for you! Very creative.

Lily on the Road said...

Sounds like a busy lunch hour! Just make sure you don't get locked in the stairwell, that would be awful!

We have lucked out so far with the snow factor, but tomorrow is going to be a different day...15+c, yup, it's on its way!!! Crazy weather!

Marlene said...

That sounds like an awesome workout! Very resourceful. :)

Julie said...

Awesome that you got creative with your workout -- keeps things fresh too! :)

Katie said...

In high school we would run the stairs when there was too much snow to run safely on the roads. We'd sprint up the four flights, then jog down, and repeat. It is a great workout.

Beth said...

That is too cold. I am suprised you building allows you access to the stairwells. We can get into ours, but not out unless there is an emergency.

joyRuN said...

Nicely done, Leana! We only have five floors for me to clamber through, but it would be a good way for me to squeeze a workout in anyway.

Keith said...

Great workout idea.

But what everyone needs to know is that she can get from her office, to the Y, without going outside, by using the +15 system. Yeah, it's a bit roundabout but thats just more warm up time, and oh, I guess she has to walk outside from the building next door.

Runner Leana said...

Ah yes Keith, you are right. But my building to the Y and back via the +15 is like a 40 minute round trip!!

Badgergirl said...

I like the idea of using the stairs! Nice job!

Brian said...

Wow , great idea and very "Magiver-ish" haha

Judi said...

that's a creative w/o!