Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Doing the Log

Nutrition.  They say it is the fourth discipline in triathlon.  With this being my Ironman year I knew nutrition was something that I needed to get in check.  Since half way through university I’ve done this yo-yo thing, up 15 lbs, down 15 lbs.  Back and forth.  Training for endurance races has definitely kept things in check, but that didn’t mean that I’ve doing everything right.  And then…well…training less in the last part of 2009 had a bit of an impact, along with a high amount of stress.

I contacted Beth Shutt at The Athlete's Eutrophia.  Beth is a triathlete so she understands our complex nutritional needs – balancing healthy eating and proper fuelling.  I am so excited to be working with Beth!!  We chatted on the phone about my goals, where I’ve been and where I’m going.  The next order of business was to complete my food log.  Marni had a great post on keeping a food log last week and it was such a timely post.  I tried to be really detailed with what I recorded.  How hungry was I when I ate?  What time did I eat at?  What and how much? 

I realized a lot of interesting things keeping this log.  I found that I really paid attention to portion sizes as I was eating.  Other things I noted:

  • When I'm at work and sitting at my desk I am a lot more tuned into how hungry I am.  I'm often wondering, "What time is it?  Am I hungry?  Should I have a snack?"  On the weekend when I'm running around or doing things around the house that definitely isn't the case.  Perhaps this sitting still in front of the computer has a lot to do with it?
  • I am terrible about remembering to take vitamins.  Keeping track of them in the food log reminded me.  But that being said, I really have no clue which ones I should be taking.
  • I also thought a lot more about drinking water throughout the day.  Well, during the week anyway.  In fact I was so good about drinking water that it felt like there were never ending trips to the bathroom!  Luckily I managed to make it through the nearly 3 hour showing of Avatar on Friday night.  I am not so good about it on the weekend, although I pretty well already suspected that.
  • I'll be honest, I probably have a few more sweets during your typical day than when I was logging.  Um…hence why I have some work to do…

So the log is now in Beth’s hands!  It will be really interesting to see what she has to say.  Time to get this nutrition thing on track!!

11 comments:

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete said...

Thanks for posting this! It totally reminded me that I need to start getting my nutrition on track as well!! :) I think that we all need help with the sweets!

Marlene said...

What a great way to look at nutrition - as the fourth discipline.

Sounds like you kept a very thorough log and have learned a lot already - hopefully Beth will have some good advice for you.

Mike Russell said...

Nutrition is definitely one of the hardest parts of training and racing. It is way cool that you have a professional working with you now. Your challenge going forward will be to stick to the plan that she helps you put together!

Molly said...

Sounds like she will be very helpful!!! Oh, I so need to do this with her one of these days... :)

Unknown said...

I am totally the same - at work I'm more "disciplined" and definitely drink more water. On the weekends, never quite as much. I've tried the food log too and always gave up when I read back on it and realized what I was eating! Ha ha. Good luck with it, it's much more important when you're working towards something like IM!

teacherwoman said...

yeah, I hear you on the nutrition! Keep us posted on what you find out!

Rainmaker said...

I'd be afraid of what a nutrionist would say to my diet...:-/

That said, glad to see you also saw Avatar this weekend. I was also trying to figure out how to stay awake, but managed thankfully.

Lindsay said...

oh i would be torn to shreds if i admitted to a nutritionist... "so... you had m&m's for breakfast, afternoon snack and dessert?" :)

i was doing a food/health log back in november when i had the nausea episodes - very detailed. didn't quite commit to the 24/7 tracking of how i felt, what i ate, what i drank, how long i slept, but i know it would be handy for nutritional purposes as well as general health (/possibly seeing correlations between what i ate and reactions my body had or something).

i'm looking forward to seeing what plans you have for your nutrition when you get feedback!

Alisa said...

Keeping a food log really helps me. I have a hard time doing it all the time so I usually set 2-week time line and use it for two weeks and then give myself a break from it. It's not the best way of doing things but it works for me. I use TheDailyPlate. They even have an iphone app which is key for me since my phone goes everywhere with me.

ShirleyPerly said...

Good for you taking control of your nutrition! I sooooo wish my husband could keep a food log and/or work with a nutritionist. He's just so pig-headed at times ...

Anyway, I hope Beth gives you some good advice that you will share with all of us :-)

Badgergirl said...

Yikes! A nutritionist would hate my food log. But like you, I definitely drink more water during the week than the weekends.

Hope you get some good advice about nutrition!