Sunday, January 31, 2010

Strides in the Snow

I finished up this week with a 45 minute run with 20 to 30 seconds of strides every 5 minutes.  Strides are essentially accelerations where I am supposed to focus on fast feet and high cadence, landing mid foot, maintaining a slight forward lean without breaking at the hips and using my arms to keep the cadence up with my feet.

Whenever I have a workout like this I like to run downtown by the river since the pathway is reasonably flat.  I also had a swim on the schedule too, so that would work out perfectly.  Well, except for the fact that I woke up feeling like I had swallowed a pack of razor blades.

Lovely.

Oh, and it was –12C (10.4F).

I went from thinking I’d just swim, to waiting a bit to let it warm up to see what happened, to deciding that I really wanted to run.  Finally I got going and made my way downtown where it was still –12C and it was snowing.  I ran west along the river and as people ran towards me they had the strangest looks on their faces.  They were squinting.  They looked uncomfortable.  And here I was heating up and unzipping my top for a little extra ventilation.  When I made it half way and turned around I now understood.  The wind was blowing and it was chilly.  My throat wasn’t sore by this point in time but it sure was making my chest feel pretty uncomfortable.  Somewhere along the way I decided that I wasn’t quite up for the swim anymore and that a run was good enough for me.  So there we go, 45 minute run done along the snow covered pathway downtown.DSCN2816 DSCN2813 DSCN2815

After Beth analysed my food log the first task she gave me this week was to focus on refuelling within 30 minutes of a workout.  It has taken some planning in advance, but it seems to be working out well.  They key is to include some carbs and some protein in my post-workout snack.  I brought some cottage cheese with pineapple downtown with me that I scarfed down with some tea when I was done.  That sure was a winning combination, especially the tea after the cold run!

What do you guys have as a snack after a workout?

19 comments:

Keith said...

My totally fave snack after a big workout is a peanut butter, nutella, and banana sandwich with milk. mmmmmmmmmm.

D said...

Mocha Frappuccinos. *cough*
Now I'm drinking protein shakes after my workouts. Exciting stuff.

Molly said...

Ha! I have that exact top in that color! :) Very cute!

My post-workout snacks vary a lot depending on time of day and if there's another workout to come still. For whatever reason I can't think of a single thing right now!

Marlene said...

Way to go on the run. I haven't done strides in a while... I like the idea of concentrating on your form while completing them.

Post-run snacks... I'm terrible at eating within 30 minutes. I like to shower up first, upload my run, let my stomach settle, etc. My favourite thing is chocolate milk.

Rainmaker said...

I'm currently refueling these days with a big solid chocolate fish I got for Christmas. Though, it's almost gone, which makes me sad. :)

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete said...

Wow, that totally looks like my run on Sat! And pretty close to the same temp! I refueled with chocolate milk that day. Sometimes, it's a trail mix. It just depends on what I'm doing after my workout!

Becca said...

Looks like you're running in the same weather as me :)

ShirleyPerly said...

Well, there's the snow I didn't see in Wisconsin!

As for snacks, I usually eat a banana or an energy bar. I really should eat something better than the latter but it's just so darn convenient and we have a lot of them in our pantry.

NJ said...

Depends on how I'm feeling. A few favorites include chocolate milk, nutella or peanut butter on toast, tropical smoothie with grated ginger, banana, apple or a big salad wrap.

RoadBunner said...

Man, that is some serious snow!

I usually run pre-meal. So I either pop out of bed and immediately run and then eat breakfast after. Or, I run in between breakfast and lunch.

This leads to lots of daydreaming about pasta bowls during my run (I eat pasta at least once a day!)

ChrisC said...

Strides in snow especially that light powdery icing sugar kind are tough. To hard to get traction for a good stride. Snow runs always seem to be twice as hard.

My recovery snack is a simple smoothie with milk, yogourt, banana, blueberries and a Tablespoon of protein powder.

Wes said...

BRRRRR! I usually go with some cheese and crackers or a smoothie with whey protein.

Tricia said...

Chocolate milk :)

Badgergirl said...

Post run I'm a chocolate milk kind of girl.

Barb said...

Nutrition ...my favorite topic :)
I love Smoothies,(plain yogurt, banana, blue-or-rasp berries,hemp seeds and ice) after runs. I usually make before I go and pop it in the fridge to have as soon as I get back. Another fave is Ezekiel English muffin toasted with 1egg+1eggwhite...there are so many!!!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

I'm a chocolate milk drinker too, and have made a much bigger effort to make sure I'm drinking it within 30minutes post workout. Great job on the run, hope you're not coming down with something!

teacherwoman said...

Chocolate milk and maybe a banana has become my favorite snack after a good workout!

Alisa said...

Um brrr!

I second or third or fourth the comments about chocolate milk. I love soy chocolate milk, pb, half a banana and some ice---blend and it's a chocolately, peanut buttery tasty treat.

Lindsay said...

now i know i whine about 5inches so i don't know how you do it!

i'm really up for lots of different things after a run. sometimes i get random cravings during a run and i go for that (a bagel, m&m's, anything). chocolate milk is always good. in the summer - nothing beats a propel-type drink.