Thursday, November 3, 2011

Three Things Thursday


  • One of my goals for November (that I completely forgot to write down) is to incorporate core work into my routine more often.  I already get a few minutes of core at my Tuesday and Thursday strength classes, so 10 minutes after my Sunday spins seems like the perfect time to add some extra work in.  The problem is - 10 minutes is a long time!  And you can only do so many crunches.  What are some of your favourite and most effective core exercises?  Please feel free to share!
Image by Sarah A. Friedman/via Runner's World

  • Through the wonders of twitter last week I won a free Chef's tasting dinner from Home Tasting Room here in Calgary for the husband and I.  We sat at the eating bar and got to chat with the chef about where he gets his food from and it was truly an amazing experience.  Hot house tomatoes with wild arugula and local mozarella, bison tartare, slow cooked lamb shank with bone marrow mashed potatoes...it was all amazing.  If you live in Calgary I highly recommend it!  Because I was too busy scarfing the yummy food down to take pictures here's a view of their open kitchen.

  • I'm racing this weekend!  On Saturday night I'm running the Banff Winterstart 5 Miler.  I last ran this race back in 2007 (old race report here).  Back then I ran it in 51:30.  I'm not quite back to low 10:00 miles (I don't think) so we'll see how I do this weekend.
Image via The Tech Shop

8 comments:

Keith said...

Let's see, favorite core exercises.
Ummmm.
Sorry , got nothing.

Unknown said...

Oh how nice of you to post a picture of me and my abs! Just kidding. Personally I like to change it up lots and just cycle through a big list of moves, a different routine each time. It's geeky, but YouTube ten-minute trainer abs, there are some good exercises in there...

Marlene said...

There are some great core exercises here:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=486

Now I should actually start doing it....

Wow, nice win on the tasting! But bone marrow mashed potatoes... is that what it sounds like it is?!

Nicole @ Haute Runner said...

Plank- hate it but it helps the core!

The tasting sounds good!

Good luck racing this weekend!

Julie said...

I agree with Nicole -- the plank is the best. I find that any exercise that involves my glute and back, and inner thigh are the ones that are REALLY good too.

Happy racing!! :)

Leigh said...

Planks, planks and more planks! The russian twist (sit on your butt with your legs a couple inches off the ground and then twist side to side) is good too.

Do you have an iphone? Nike has an app with exercises and there is one that is 15mins long for just abs. It's pretty good!

Unknown said...

I hate core work. I know it's good for me, so I've started doing it. Still hate it.

My core is still sore from Angie's exercises after spin class...

kristen said...

I second Marlene's suggestion. I love (hate?) that ab routine. It is a nice mix of different muscle groups and moves.