Tonight I met up with Instructor S's running group for a little speed work along the Bow River pathway starting at Edworthy park. The plan was to do an easy jog for 10 min to warm up, then do 10 repeats of 2 min fast, 1 min slow, then another 10 min easy jog to cool down. During the easy jog I was thinking to myself, "This is great...I can keep up with these girls. This is going to be awesome." And then the speed work started. I think I discovered something about myself this evening. I really only have one speed. Sometimes I'll be slower on uphills, sometimes I'll be faster on downhills, but on flat ground....there is not a lot of differentiation between my fast and my slow running. At least that is what it felt like towards the end... I hung with the front girls during the first three minutes, but in the second pick up I lost them and wound up playing catch up the entire rest of the run. There were a couple of ladies a ways behind me, but otherwise I was alone with my thoughts on this speed workout. Here were my thoughts:
- Minutes 0-10: Hey....this is OK....this is going to be a great run.
- Minutes 10-13: Hmm, this speed work thing is tough.
- Minutes 13-15: Oops, I'm too slow...on my own.
- Minutes 15-25: Speed work sucks. Why did I think this was a good idea?
- Minute 25: Hey, I just remembered that I totally forgot to put Body Glide on.
- Minutes 26-50: Oh...dear...for the love of...why did I forget to put Body Glide on???
- Minutes 27 - 40: Oh...hey...I think I feel some lactic acid in my legs...
- Minute 40: Thank goodness for the cool down...I hate speed work.