Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Stepping up to the plate for Nutritionathon

Amanda has called me out on Nutritionathon, and I think this is a bandwagon I should hop on. I don't do altogether too badly, but I know I can make improvements that will help my running and general fitness goals. Amanda made up her set of rules, but I think I need to tailor it a bit in regards to my vices. I'm already pretty good on the water consumption front (most days) and avoid pop most days, but I think portion sizes, not enough fruits and veg, and a general craving for Blizzards are holding me back. So here we go, here are my Nutritionathon plans:

  • Bring my lunch to work at least one day per week. This does not include purchasing a scone and coffee from Good Earth for breakfast just so I can have my PB&J at lunch instead.
  • Consume at least four or five servings of fruits and vegetables per day. I promise not to count jam in my fruit column.
  • At least one serving of dairy per day.
  • No diet pop (except at the movie theatre).
  • Consume at least 2L of water per day (not including consumption during exercise).
  • Limit portion sizes and plan for 4 mini-meals per day.
  • Eat my planned snacks prior to becoming hungry.
  • Limit Blizzard intake to once every three to four weeks. A Blizzard is not an acceptable choice for a dinner meal...regardless of the fact that I try to convince myself that the banana cream pie Blizzard hits almost all of your food groups in one cup.

How long is this going to go on for you may ask.... Good question. I'm hoping that this will be a habit forming exercise!

3 comments:

RunToTheFinish said...

YEAH!!! I think all of us runners are probably pretty healthy...but I also know I let myself eat things I probably wouldn't if I didn't run.

Good luck, hold me accountable and I'll be rooting for you!

Before I'm 35 said...

Good for you! I have been on a redonkulous sugar binge for dang-near three weeks (packing, moving, vacation), so I MUST get my sweets eating under control. Perhaps I should formulate my own nutritionathon.

But I would hate to just throw out that container of Sticky Toffee Pudding ice cream that I bought last night. Maybe the dog would like some of it...

Angry Runner said...

Good lord. I need tons of help in this arena. It's good you're at least plan on sticking to some guidelines. You'll run faster for sure.