In an attempt to avoid the post-marathon slump I'm determined to keep looking forward. I have a few goals I would like to aim for over the next 12 months:
- Run a sub-60:00 10K in Alberta. I managed one near sea level in Seattle, now I want to know that I can do it at altitude.
- Run a sub-30:00 5K. First I have to find a 5K to race though. Most of them around here seem to conflict with other races I want to do.
- Keep my fitness level at the point where I could run a half marathon at the drop of a hat. It might not be easy, or it might not be a PR, but this is what I'm hoping for. I figure if I aim to average 20 miles/week unless I'm specifically training for something, then this should be doable. Don't worry, I'm giving myself some time off before I start in on this 20 miles/week plan though.
- Keep some variety in my workouts. I'm sticking with Fit Ball over the winter, then it is back to Bikini Boot Camp in the spring. I'll be looking out for the unlimited pass to the yoga studio this summer again too.
As for goal races, here is what I have on my radar:
- St. Patrick's Day 10K Road Race in Calgary on March 16th. This race marks the full circle of my racing year, plus the post race stew is terrific.
- Vancouver Sun Run on April 20th (10K). This was my first ever race and I love running Vancouver, plus it is the second largest 10K in all of North America.
- Minnie Marathon Weekend May 3-4 at Walt Disney World. I'll be running the 5K and the 15K again this year. This is rumoured to be the final ever Minnie Marathon, so this is your last chance for a Minnie medal. I need mine to go with my Donald, Mickey and Goofy medals from this year.
- Footstock Half Marathon in Cochrane on June 14th. I ran the 10K there last year, but this time I'm going back for the half. You get a nice tech shirt and a nifty medal at this one, plus I love the post race pancake breakfast.
- If I find a great airfare deal I may want to run the Scotiabank Vancouver Half Marathon on June 22. But we'll see about that...
- Marathon Des Deux Rives in Quebec City on August 24th. I really want to see more of eastern Canada and Quebec is top of my list. I hear this is an amazingly well organized race that is very scenic. I'm leaning towards the option of running a full here. Apparently the kilometer markers count down, not up!
- Melissa's 10K Road Race in Banff on September 27th. This is providing I'm able to register as the entries for this go like hot cakes in this town. There is a half marathon option here too, but number one choice is the 10K.
- Walt Disney World Marathon on January 11, 2009. I have to admit that I am enviously watching Maddy, Ovens2Betsy, Angry and Claire sign up to run the Goofy next year. I would really like to *run* this marathon and run it well so I think I'm going to stick with the option to run the full on its own. One day I want to go back and run the Goofy again, but 2009 won't be the year.