Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Off to a better start

This week seems to be off to a better start. I made it to Fit Ball last night for an intense round of push ups, tricep dips, bicep curls, abs and hamstrings. The workout kicked my rear end last night and I was pretty sure I would be hurting today....but I'm not. I feel a bit disappointed! Today I got out for a 3 mi run around the river today over lunch. The weather is supposed to start cooling off so I wanted to make sure I got outside to enjoy it as much as possible. I really tried to concentrate on my stride length but once I hit the one mile point my right shin started to bug me and it gravitated up towards my knee. The bulk of my shin problems have occurred in my pink GT-2210s that have a whopping 165 miles on them. Any other shin pain in different shoes has happened the day after an achy shin run in the pink shoes. From the get go these shoes have not felt as comfortable as my green GT-2110s that have 280 miles on them so I'm starting to wonder if it is a shoe thing. Maybe these babies need to get removed from the rotation. I'll try swapping over to my Kayano's for some mid-week runs downtown to see if it helps the situation at all.
---
I'm not one for talking about diet too much on this thing unless I'm telling you about a cupcake contest or some ridiculously good food I made or all of the wine I've been drinking. That's probably because I detest the word diet. It is a four letter word after all. The bad news is I've probably still been eating like I'm training for a marathon...and well...I'm not. I've become a lot better about cooking at home, but I still tend to eat out at lunch and otherwise I'm sure portion sizes are my big downfall. I'm going to try to cut back on some of those lunches out and I will strive to include more fruits and veggies in my day. After my run was done today I was walking behind a fellow carrying a bunch of stuff from Peter's Drive In. This place is an iconic hamburger, fry and milkshake stop here in Calgary. Apparently Hugh Jackman believes this is the source of the best burger in the world. Anyhow....I could smell the fries this guy was carrying and wow....I really wanted fries...badly. Instead I grabbed some salad once I got back to work to have with some leftover pasta from dinner the other night. Probably a better choice. What do you guys do to keep the whole eating thing on track? Suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

5 comments:

Angry Runner said...

I agree, 'diet' is no good. 'Nutrition' is my preferred word.

When I eat too much or less-then-ideal foods, my body now reacts in an unfavorable way via hitting the wall in the afternoon or feeling sluggish all day. Thus, I have cut out a lot(all) refined grains, sugars, and heavy foods and replaced them all with fruit and veg (ugh) and a lot of nuts. Its a work in progress...

If you want a more mental approach, just train yourself to feel very guilty when you eat less than ideal stuff or too much. That also works...painful at times but ya...

rocketpants said...

I try to focus on eating a fist full of meat/protein, fist full of starch and (so each of those would fill half the plate) and then the rest of the plate veggies.

Glad to see you are getting back in the swing of things.

Before I'm 35 said...

Sweets are my weakness. And I always feel so bad for it later - the sugar hangover. I have to completely clear that stuff out of my house, because I don't have (or don't use) the self-control to only have one cookie.

I do the generic things like keeping gum on hand and drinking lots of water. The first two days are hard, but after that, my body usually starts to adjust and my cravings subside.

Glad things are off to a better start!

Unknown said...

I typically allow myself to indulge, but only once in a while and only in moderation (fries are my weakness too!). Plus we've been really cutting back on portions. When we eat a steak (which is rarely), we share one, plus we pair it with a bunch of veggies.

My other downfall is wine. My weight was being very stubborn -- it hasn't budged more than a pound or 2 in either direction -- for about a year. In preparation for last weekend's half I eliminated all alcohol and sure enough my weight started decreasing. So I'll now be limiting my alcohol consumption as well!

Danielle said...

Definitely sounds like a shoe issues. Seems that might be a shoe I've heard others complain about. Updates are not always a good thing. Thinking on that, I need to try out my newest Nikes to be sure they are still good.

As far as eating, I just try to eat smaller portions and throughout the day so I can keep the blood sugar steady. I bring lunch and snack foods to work (healthy things) so I'm not as tempted to hit a machine...I still get the need for crap though. I really should try cutting it out completely (a goal was to cut down my sugar this year) and see if it prompts me to eat better after the inital shock is gone, but I can't seem to do it.