Thursday, May 29, 2008

Does this thing come with an owner's manual?

Despite my gung ho cycling attitude I am still such a newbie on the bike. I did go to Bow Cycle after work yesterday to pick up my flat kit, some tubes and a little pump to mount on my bike. I even watched a video on Expert Village that showed me how to change the flat out. Phew...I feel a little more prepared now. But seriously...don't ask me why, but I think I've been afraid to discover the full gear changing potential of my bike. Ever since I bought it my bike has been sitting in the smallest chain ring in the front. Then I'm wondering why I'm pedaling like mad on the pathways in my lowest gear, yet I'm getting passed by all these people who are minimally pedalling but going so much faster than me. On the way home yesterday I realized it was time to grow up, branch out, and see what happens when I use my left gear changer and shift into the big chain ring in the front. It was like an epiphany! Oh, the power! The speed! This morning on the ride in to work, guess who was doing most of the passing on the pathways?! With this new found knowledge I may be able to rock the bike segment of my du this weekend!

6 comments:

TNTcoach Ken said...

Big Gears, oh my! Look out Speedy.

Angry Runner said...

You're killing me hahaha!

rocketpants said...

That is great to discover! With practice you will be a pro in no time!

audgepodge said...

Well this is comforting to hear. I haven't been on a bike since high school so I would also be unfamiliar with all those ... "features" and stuff.

Good luck on the du! You're so dedicated - good for you!

holowahini said...

Good luck with the du! I've got some gear paranoia myself... For some reason, when we all made the upgrade to hand brake bikes with gear shifting as kids, I was still back at the "back-peddle stop". I'm much more of a beach cruiser kind of girl, anyway. But maybe someday... :o)

Unknown said...

Hey, we are so glad to see that an Expert Village video helped you with your worries about changing a flat on your bike! I think that whole bike tire series is pretty good.

Thanks again for linking to us!

- the Expert Village team