Sunday, June 22, 2008

Trying out the new stuff

On Friday I managed to whine my way through 10 miles. I was just not motivated. We had our hockey pool wind up party after work on Friday and after downing a glass of water and a coke, plus a couple of nachos and wings my stomach wasn't in the mood so much. I was still really thirsty when I got home so I knocked back a couple of glasses of water and my stomach just felt heavy after that. Even the thought of trying out my new Kayano 14s wasn't getting me excited. It was time for an attitude adjustment though so I hurried up and changed and got my gear ready, then was out the door. I decided to run into the next neighbourhood for a bit of a change in scenery. I didn't really care what my speed was and I didn't have a route mapped out, I just had a vague idea of where to go. It was kind of nice. The sun was blazing down still so I tried to stick to the shade as much as possible and was going through my water pretty quickly. Halfway through the run I pulled out my Razz Clif Shot. The texture was everything I feared it would be. Gooey...but at least it was easy to swallow. Sort of. Maybe the Razz wasn't the best flavour to try. It was kind of like slightly salty, really bad raspberry jam. I have to say I liked the ease of eating it though and my stomach didn't convulse in revulsion upon consumption. I've got a chocolate one and a mocha one to try, then a couple Hammer Gels as well, so we'll see how they fare. The run back had quite a bit of uphill in it, so it was a challenge, but otherwise the rest of the run was uneventful. 10 miles...on a Friday night...done!

4 comments:

rocketpants said...

Sometimes flavored gels can be too much for people. I think chocolate and much flavor is ICK!! and Tend to stay with plain or vanilla. Everyone is different though.

Sonia said...

Sometime, getting out the door is the hardest part but you get her done and that's all that matters!!

Scott said...

Nice work getting out there for the 10 miles! I know how that lack of motivation feels sometimes...I think the change of scenery along with the "carefree" randomness of the run did you some good :)

(can I recommend the GU Gel? Goes down real smooth...Or for something more sugary and icing like, the PowerBar Gel)

warriorwoman said...

I whine my way through so many runs holding out for the good days. You don't need many good ones to make up for all the pain.