Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Boom!

Almost as soon as I hit the "Publish Post" button on Saturday the lactic acid gods decided that I shouldn't be so pain free after running 21 miles. Over the evening my quads definitely tightened up. Sunday morning I crawled out of bed and hopped into the car for a three hour drive to Edmonton. I met up with an old friend for lunch at a fantastic Indian restaurant. We gabbed for ages since it had been a couple of years since we had seen each other last. Finally it was time to head off to the Telus World of Science for my 4:15 ticket to Bodyworlds. I have to admit, I was a bit nervous about entering a room full of dead bodies, but it was an amazing exhibit. I also stuck around to watch an IMAX movie on the Tour de France which was fantastic. I didn't watch the tour this year, but next year I'm going to have to start paying attention. I was so stiff by the time the movie was over that I was pretty embarrassed by my pathetic attempts to hobble down the stairs and out of the theatre. Then back in the car for a three hour drive home...
---
Since it had been a late night on Sunday I slept in on Monday, then went out for a nice easy recovery run around the neighborhood late in the morning. Despite some still sore quads the run actually felt really good. I had grand plans for a 30 mile ride out on some rural highways in the afternoon but that didn't pan out. When I went to pump up my rear tire I discovered a flat. I changed it out with a spare tube and it looked like everything was in order. When I started pumping it up I went slow, checked the tire out and didn't notice a thing. Then when I hit 80 psi the tube went *boom*! Yeah...so no ride for me.
---
Otherwise, I got in 1250m at the pool this morning. The Y pool is closed for the rest of this week thanks to a random act of vandalism so I went back to the public pool to get the laps in. Boot camp is on for tonight...

6 comments:

Sonia said...

6h in a car the day after a 21 miler sounds pretty insane!!! You did well, I mean you did not get into an accident lol

I am still wishing and praying that flat tires will never happen to me.... I can dream right?!

Run For Life said...

I toootally know how you feel about the sore muscles. I always dread someone making fun of the hobbling, haha.

That's too bad about the tire exploding :P

Rainmaker said...

I look at the positive side of the boom - at least it happened at your house, instead of a gazillion miles from nowhere. :)

RoadBunner said...

Three blogs that I read, all within the last day have posted about getting flats. I am officially scared for my ride this weekend.

Wes said...

I've heard the praises of ice baths for stuff like that, but I haven't personally tried it. I'm sure I might soon, though, with Ironman training starting next week and all!

Congrats on a great twenty miler! You are so going to kick that marathons A.S.S. :-)

Changing tires is good practice for tri-chicas! I always carry two!! LOL!! Just for that reason!!

Angry Runner said...

Massage and/or roll the legs my dear Leana.