Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Taking this taper thing a bit too seriously

It looks like it is going to be a slow week workout-wise around here. My appetite has been through the roof since my 21 miler on Saturday. Yikes, how do I keep that in check? Anyhow, I had the best of intentions to hit Bow Cycle on my way home before boot camp to get some tubes for the bike. I wound up in the break room chatting tri stuff with one of the guys on my floor at the end of the day and left later than I intended to. He's a coach with the YMCA in the south and he was giving me some tips for the race this weekend. I had barely enough time to make it home, change and turn around to get to boot camp after all that. It was plyometrics night and it was hot out. And there was no shade where we were working out. The workout was a tough one and at one point my head just felt...ugh...not right, dizzy. Apparently my workout buddy was feeling somewhat similar. One girl stopped to recover for awhile, another called it a day early as the heat and the workout was just too much. We are a pretty hard core group of girls so this was kind of unusual for us. At the end of the night I know I worked hard, but I kind of wish that given the heat and lack of shade that the workout would have been modified a bit. By the time class was done there wasn't enough time to head to Bow Cycle so hence...no bike ride for me this morning. I did get up this morning to bust out a fairly crappy run through the neighborhood. I really wasn't feeling it though and it definitely showed in my pace. Anyhow, that's enough whining from me!
---
Otherwise it is going to be a pretty quiet week for me. I'm hoping to swim tomorrow, but then I'm skipping boot camp to go to Cirque du Soleil's Corteo. With my race being on Sunday I'm not sure whether I should run or ride on Saturday, or just take it easy and maybe get some yoga in. Any thoughts? I definitely want to get a few miles in on the bike this week before the race, just not sure if it will happen this evening or if I'll ride to work on Friday.

9 comments:

TNTcoach Ken said...

I'm amazed at how many people just can't relax and do nothing. You're suppose to be rested and ready for your race. Nice and easy, just breath in and out.......

Sonia said...

I would also take it easy on Saturday, unless you have a long run to do that you can't miss... You do want to do good on Sunday right?! This is your first try! You should be doing it on fresh legs!! And enjoy it =)

Rainmaker said...

I hear ya! I'm starting my taper too and I have all this weird spare time.

Just try and enjoy it though!

teacherwoman said...

Enjoy your taper! relax! :)

Angry Runner said...

Take the day of rest.

Steve Stenzel said...

I vote take it easy and to the yoga...

rocketpants said...

rest and relax...go easy peasy, maybe do some yoga.

holly said...

Oh, taper madness! Frustrating. I say take it easy, but if you're going crazy treat yourself to a flat bike ride. Or a little hike - I find that the Fullerton Loop in Bragg Creek is just long enough to subdue me.

Also - roadie tubes are only $2 at MEC. Super cheap.

Sarah Elaine said...

Enjoy the taper. I found that watching Beavis and Butthead movies helps. (You think I jest? Not at all!)

I will be in Strathmore, cheering on two first-time-tri friends whom I've helped with their running training.

Let's see if we can find each other and at least say hello. :-)

Rock on!